Friday, February 16, 2007

Frigid Temperatures and Fires

Those two just do not mix well, yet, in the arctic weather is when you see the most fires. Enter volunteer fire fighters and ambulance crew. Holding a high pressure hose that spewing however many tons of water per minute is not a way I would recommend staying dry. It is however, warmer to be on the hose than outside of the burning structure. Inside it is warm, outside there is MUCH wind to contend with. Inside it is a sloppy, soggy mess. Outside is very icy. Inside it is difficult to see due to smoke and steam. Outside it is difficult to see because your breath fogs your glasses. Inside the stench of burnt wood, plastic and steamed coyote, wolf, deer, fox, etc. pee WILL make you gag. Outside the smell isn't quite so bad. (Although, I thought it was bad outside til I got inside.) I am not sure if inside or outside wins out at this point. What I do know is that it is a tough job, but somebody's got to do it. And, if there are no injuries or fatalities, I consider it a good day. Now I'm off to enjoy a nice long hot shower. I'd rather not have a smell on me that will attract a stampede of deer...

6 comments:

Bug and Eye said...

when did you join the volunteer fire squad?????

mira said...

not her, silly, him. but I DID hear a rumor about her and the blinking blue lights and needles and I thought she was grossed out by guts so why is she hanging out in an ambulance?? needless to say, this bears investigation and explanation.

Mrs. Guthrie said...

Nope, it was me. I joined the ambulance crew to be an EMT back in November. Apparently all EMT's are also firefighters on our squad. Yee haw. Still waiting on EMT classes to start in September... would love to find ones sooer, but all the ones that start sooner are an hour away. Not so good. But everyone (all other EMT's) are anxious for me to complete the course... then we will haver FOUR EMT's on our squad.

Bug and Eye said...

whoa...color me impressed! I'm with E...I thought needles and blood were yucky and made you want to run far far in the other direction...

Mrs. Guthrie said...

yeah, if it is MY blood or needles coming at me!!! Ew!

Bug and Eye said...

ok now you gotta toss us a blog all about how this came about :-)