Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Frenchman

We have a rooster that has guaranteed his space at our homestead.... Why? I just like the look of him. I think his lop-sided crown makes him look like a little Frenchman wearing a beret. He's even taking a bow - it's all very sophisticated.


















That's my take anyway.

There are others, however, who don't share the Frenchman sentiment. They say that perhaps he is..... um..... ahem..... handicapped and it isn't a French style crown, but rather a............... defect. Ahem.






















It has been said that rather than hearing "Cock-a-doodle-dooooooo" out of him, we might hear "Doodle-lada-cooooooock." What I DO know is that, Frenchman or unfortunate rooster, when he does crow, it is a short and sweet "Cock-a-doooooo." Very nice. He's a keeper.

6 comments:

mira said...

I love the green/black feathers. that is definitely a mutt rooster.

will you be candling eggs and hatching your own chickens in the spring?

Anonymous said...

Perhaps weeeth heez own crowing style, he is a zinger, no? You could call heem Robert Pou-LAY. (lame, sorry)

Mrs. Guthrie said...

*lol* he's a "zinger" all right......

candling/hatching... we're talking about it. :) If I don't get completely annoyed with all of the roosters and...INVITE... all of them to dinner first.

mira said...

eh, shoulda just named them "breakfast," "lunch," and "dinner" and been done with it. the mid-afternoon naptime crowing is the worst, imho.

Mrs. Guthrie said...

you aren't kidding!!! I'm quite tempted to do away with "breakfast," "lunch," and "dinner" now so I can easily decipher whether or not I have more roosters, too.... If I hear crowing, I do. If I don't... I got them all. :)

ByHISgoodGrace said...

I have tagged you, check my blog...