Saturday, April 18, 2009

Change

This afternoon was so beautiful and warm, I was able to hang laundry out on the line for the first time this year. As I repetitively reached in the basket and then turned, stretching out to hang the next garment, I began to think of how I had missed this simple task and about the change in the seasons that was required for me to be able to do it again. I personally love the change from winter to spring, the gradual move into summer, and the gentle cooling back into fall. The only season I don't always greet with absolute joy is winter, but I know there are others that wish there was more of that cold, white season. It's not that I completely dislike it, I just prefer the warmer weather and the sun. My thoughts then turned to the similar lack of enthusiasm I have towards other changes in life and realized that, without changes, we can't enter a new season in our lives. Sometimes we have to face our personal winters, a time for the old things to die off, so that the new things that God wants to grow in us and bring us into can be birthed. We cannot have spring without winter. As I sat down to write this particular post, I glanced at our sidebar and reread our "Words that encourage us" verse and the first half struck me with how pertinent it is to our life right now. When I posted it, the way it spoke to my heart was of a newness in worship. I read it today and was blown away with the significance and appropriateness of the verse to our situation today. Batman and I are facing many changes right now. Some came somewhat easily - with a significant amount of prayer and seeking God's direction. There are others that we are staring in the face and saying, "ok, God, this is what You have placed before us, this is what You have impressed on our hearts, um.... now what? We need you to provide a way...." Sometimes the things of God seem absolutely crazy and absurd, but one thing He has promised is to ALWAYS make a way. He will never ever direct us one way and then leave us stranded. He sees the big picture and His solution is, in all reality, amazingly simple. Maybe not to us, but to God, it is a simple as moving His hand.

God asks: Do you see what I see? (not always) Do you hear what I hear? (I'd like to think so) Do you know what I know? (in part) Do you want what I want? (oh yes!!)

I leave you with our verse that encourages us right now. Perhaps YOU are facing changes in your life. Maybe it is your winter right now, or perhaps your are coming out of that winter season and coming into spring. Whatever God has for you, remember that change is good. Change is what brings about the new growth that God has for you. Will you not be aware of it?

"Behold, I will do something new,
Now it will spring forth;
Will you not be aware of it?
I will even make a roadway in the wilderness,
Rivers in the desert.
The beasts of the field will glorify Me,
The jackals and the ostriches,
Because I have given waters in the wilderness
And rivers in the desert,
To give drink to My chosen people.
The people whom I formed for Myself
Will declare My praise."

Isaiah 43:19-21 NASB


3 comments:

Bug and Eye said...

from your keyboard to screen directly into my heart. Thank you.

mira said...

all sorts of gardening metaphors about tilling and weeding and pruning and fertilizing and harvesting and storing and sharing are coming to mind. thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

wow! hey! WOW!
you should be slowly compiling a devotional book! I liked that! AMEN!
LB