Friday, September 28, 2007

Still Small Voice?

The alarm went off at *shudder* 3:30 this morning and the VERY tiny part of my brain that was SLIGHTLY awake rationalized that if I did not move, J would KNOW I wasn't getting up with him this morning and I wouldn't have to work up the energy to actually say so. Plus, not moving at all was very easy. BUT... I had to... um... pee... and that kept me awake. I argued with myself for a few minutes on the pros and cons of staying in bed anyway. I REALLY did not want to get out of my warm cozy bed. BUT, the knowledge that if I didn't get up right then and go, by the time I did get up (only a couple hours later, give or take one, or maybe two) my kidneys would be screaming at me. So, I got up. Then went DIRECTLY back to bed. And couldn't get back to sleep. *sigh* I would close my eyes and have all these thoughts about having to respond to the scene of an accident and the people involved be my children who were out with their aunt and I would instruct the ALS responders and our drivers to load my two children in my ambulance together so I did not have to choose between them. They could take the sister-in-law that was dumb enough to wreck her car with my babies in it.... Er... Oh.... Breath... I climbed on top of those thoughts, rebuked and prayed protection over my kids, my hubby and extended family. Then snuggled back into the bed, closed my eyes and attempted to sleep.... I then was either thinking (seriously, I can shut my brain off sometimes! I think.... If I try really hard.......) or dreaming about responding to an accident and the driver was not injured, just shaken and wanted to "sign off".

We always have to respond to a car accident once we are toned out for it, but sometimes people just get their car into a ditch, maybe deploy their airbags and are not really hurt, but it is always a good idea to just get looked over. We then advise them of their "rights" (no, not like Miranda Rights) tell them all of the possible things that could happen after a car accident, even if you don't feel bad then. Blah blah blah....

So, back to the thoughts/dreams/whatever..... I was talking to someone who had been in an accident and didn't want to go to the hospital and I was telling him how your brain will slosh around when you are involved in accidents like that. Your body is stopped by the seatbelt and/or airbag, but your brain has room to move (this would be the whole reason for "don't shake the baby....") so problems can become evident later. A few minutes after six our tones went off for a possible MVA and away I went. Half an hour later guess what I was doing? Yep, along with my team, explaining to this guy what his brain is like and what can happen with it. Huh.

One of the things that I have noticed is that many times I will be going about my day and the thought of getting called out will cross my mind or I'll just get this feeling that we will be called out sometime that day. When I do get that thought, we usually do get called out for something that day. So, I am thinking that those thoughts or feelings might be that "still small voice" from God. Now what? Am I just supposed to be prepared or is this something for me to be able to intercede for situations before-hand??

3 comments:

mira said...

I get that all the time, and it's so easy to pass off as just random thoughts or not worth my attention, when really it is God trying to prepare me for something that's going to happen so that I can begin praying at that moment. There's a reason the Spirit speaks in a still small voice, and that's because we have a choice on whether to listen and act accordingly or to ignore and go about our day. He's not going to hammer us on the head about every little thing but it sure pays to listen to those hints!!

Kimmie said...

Well, I would venture to say that if you ask the Holy Spirit if it is Him and He is woeing you to intercede for someone...that He will make it clear to you that it is Him (for how can you follow him if you can't distinguish his voice from any other). Hand it over to him and then set to the job he has entrusted you with...for the prayers of the righteous availeth much!

blessings
Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Bug and Eye said...

Further proof that God means it when we are told to pray without ceasing...I find my mind wandering those paths from time to time...more so on some days than others...and it's hard to climb on top of them and rebuke them and remember to "take every thought captive and make it obedient to the word of God"....hang in there sweetie and keep your armor on! :-)
Love you