Sunday, December 23, 2007

MERRY CHRISTMAS or HAPPY HOLIDAY?

Our mad day of shopping started Saturday for me (the man of the house). The wife and I went to the big city up to the north of us, about a forty minute drive. We left at 9:30 A.M. in the the truck just because we don't ever drive it due to the gas prices. The battery was getting low, plus my doors don't lock in the chick magnet so the truck was the best choice. We started at the mall which was the beginning of the "Happy Holidays" from every retail store we shopped at except one, but I will get to that later. I would promptly spout back "Merry Christmas" with a big grin and they all said "thank you!!" so chipper. Now my beef is, where's the Merry Christmas that I grew up with and whats the problem with it, if the retail store is making so much from this time of year? Why are they worried about saying "Merrrrrry CHRISTMAS!" when everybody and their brother are shopping for CHRISTMAS. It does not make sense to me. So anyway, we went to Payless and I was there to buy a beautiful pair of Air Walks. We got the usual greeting at the door , and replied back "Merry Christmas". I found the sneaks and brought them to the counter. The nice lady at the desk asked me if i needed any socks with my purchase and I in my quick logic of thinking said "no thanks I put a pair on this morning." I laughed, my wife laughed the other lady next to the woman I was talking to laughed until women gave me the worst look I've ever seen, so that cut the fun right in half! Well the only place that said (out of the twelve stores we went to) Merry Christmas was Burlington Coat Factory, I was about to give the greeter a huge hug! but I gathered my excitement back together and gave a BIG MERRRY CHRISTMAS back to them. I love the BCF for that. Traffic was horrible, it was slow and people just kept pulling out in front of us, which by the way can aggravate me in many ways. People have gotten more pushy along with taking Christmas out of... Christmas. Several stores sell "Holiday Trees" or "Family Trees" now instead of "Christmas Trees". Hmm...

When we finally made it home I poured myself a small glass of wine and relaxed and reminisced the night. Well that's my time of shopping and if you missed it I would say my point is Merry Christmas and may God bless you and your families and keep you safe through the New year. HooooRa!

4 comments:

Hannah said...

Mmm...wine. My favorite is of course back at the house in NC. Boy how I wish I could have a glass today. MERRY CHRISTMAS!! (PS I wave to you guys when I'm driving on 17/86.)

Mrs. Guthrie said...

*lol* we'll wave back. :)

mira said...

-better not ever visit us if people pulling out in front of you is aggravating.
-I had a pair of airwalks once. puffiest sneakers I ever owned.
-one saleslady told me that "happy holidays" is easier than "merry Christmas and a happy new year and if you don't celebrate Christmas, well then happy Hanukkah or Kwanzaa or whatever else you're buying presents for because I'll get fired if I happen to offend you and you choose to complain because I'm only seasonal staff".
-"family trees" is just ridiculous.
-what's the huge present??
-Buon Natale to you :)

Bug and Eye said...

I wished the nice saleslady at target a merry christmas. she got all flustered and told me to have a happy holiday. *sheesh*